Toddler News, December 2016
Jack Frost is coming to us. Our Maple friends are enjoying the last warm weather before he comes.
It is time to prepare the winter gear. Please send in warm mittens and a warm hat. In the winter, as long as the weather is not dangerously severe, we will go out to play. Young children need the time outside, since it is our nature and they learn lots of things from it. When it snows, please send in winter boots, and a snowsuit or snow pants. Then, we will be ready to play with snow!
Maple friends have been busy adjusting with new friends and new environment. Two maple friends transited to primary classrooms and four new friends joined our room since the school year started. All of the maple friends greet each other and they learn how to help each other. It is a small society for them to learn how to socialize, and we are very glad to have a such a beautiful community.
This month, December, we will talk about winter and Holidays such as Christmas, Hanukah, and Kwanzaa.
- We will read books about winter, Christmas, Hanukah, and Kwanzaa.
- We will sing songs about winter.
- We will do winter and holiday themed art activities.
- We will bring winter mittens, hats, and snowsuits out for the practical life lessons.
What you can do to help your child at home to be independent:
- Set a set of your child’s sized table and chair.
- Prepare some snacks, a dish, a cup, a set of utensil, and a placemat.
- Building practical life skills such as pushing the chair back in, cleaning the table, pouring, scooping, spooning, and cutting activities etc.
- Include your child in cooking and baking activities. The below is the list that we bake and cook at school. Through baking and cooking activities, your child can learn order, math, science, language, and practical life skills.
- Slow cooker apple sauce
- Rice cooker oatmeal
- Banana muffin
“Do not tell them how to do it. Show them how to do it and do not say a word. If you tell them, they will watch your lips move. If you show them, they will want to do it themselves.”
– Maria Montessori
It was wonderful to see the grandparents, friends, and parents of our Maple friends on the ‘Grandparents Day’ for our community Thanksgiving feast. Our school will have the ‘Winter Celebration’ on Tuesday, December 20th at 1pm. Please reserve the date. You will get the further information later on.
Please feel free to text, e-mail, or request a meeting any time you have concerns or something to share with us.
Ms. Caila and Ms. YoonJu