Montessori Elementary School – where unlimited learning is elementary
- Advanced mathematical lessons are introduced using hands-on manipulatives.
- Elementary students have weekly educational field trip opportunities throughout the community.
- Students learn grammar and syntax using symbols and stories that spark the imagination.
- Children begin writing cursive in 1st grade.
- Writers Workshop, poetry studies, and guided reading groups round out the Language Arts curriculum.
- Students get right to work on activities independently, with a peer, or in a group.
- Teachers focus on individual needs and levels of development, rather than teaching one specific lesson to the entire class at the same time.
- In our multi-age classroom, older children serve as mentors to younger ones, building confidence and leadership skills.
- Individualized learning with hands-on interactive methods that feed children’s innate curiosity.
New for 2018 – We are excited to announce that our Elementary programs is now a certified Nature’s Classroom Eco Science School. We will begin incorporating the curriculum, which will deepen the already rich STEAM program CTMS offers, by linking outdoor, art and cooperative activities with the already robust Montessori science curriculum.
In a Montessori environment, children are not limited in their pursuit of knowledge; they are encouraged and supported in their quest.
The Montessori elementary school program offers a continuum built on the Primary experience. In a Montessori elementary school classroom, the child’s own questions provide the basis for exploration of the world. Because those questions are heeded and nurtured, the child truly connects with knowledge.
Subject matter is made relevant to the child’s personal learning journey, providing an inner motivation. A Montessori education does not give a child a collection of isolated facts, but rather shares a vision of interrelated knowledge and a love of learning.
Our students learn at their own pace, develop skills in critical thinking, and learn lessons relevant to real life. Our teachers’ gentle guidance helps children develop tools for conflict resolution and peacemaking. These skills help Montessori students build confidence as they learn to respect and care for others.
The results of a true Montessori education speak for themselves. CTMS students routinely excel at an early age and often exceed the Common Core Standards. From Julia Child to the founders of Google, there is a long and growing list of Montessori learners who have gone on to take their place among the world’s most successful people.
When information is processed in an active, musical, or artistic way, the knowledge becomes permanent and strengthens the creative part of the brain. Come see why The Children’s Tree is a wonderful independent school for children ages 6-12 years old.